Friday, January 30, 2009

Pre- surgery...

One of our nurses let us listen to Max's heart. It was amazing! First we listened to my heart to hear what a healthy heart sounds like and then we listened to Max's. It sounded very different. It was so a great experience to hear what the doctors hear when they examine Max.
A visit from Artie, the therapy dog.

At 3:00am Max got his pre-surgery bath.
Here is Max being wheeled down the the surgery waiting room.Dad looking at his little boy and hoping everything goes well in surgery. Spencer is wearing the same college t-shirt that he was wearing when Max was born. Last loves and kisses from mommy.
Max giving us a reassuring smile. He is one brave baby!
Max with his anesthesiologist, Dr. Kellers. The doctor carried him into the operating room rather then wheeling him in on a hospital bed- it was really sweet.
Now we are waiting for the surgery to be finished...

13 comments:

April HelleDickson said...

Hey, I have been thinking about you guys all week. I can't imagine how scary it must all be. Thanks for having this blog about it all- I want to know how things are going, but I don't want to pester you. We're praying for you and little Max.

Jodi Reeve said...

Our prayers are with you. When my son had surgery he was almost 2 and it was so hard to bear, but we were strengthened and I know you will be too. He is a special baby in your home.

Theresa Mooney said...

I love the picture with the visit from Artie, the therapy dog. I can just picture Artie standing on the side of Max's crib and giving him a little lick! I am so grateful he is out of surgery safe and sound now; I can breathe a little easier knowing I will get to hold little Max. Give brave baby Max a kiss and hug from his auntie Tee. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that everything went well with his first surgery. He is such a cutie pie. I get tears in my eyes when I think about how hard all of this must be for you. We love you and are praying for your beautiful family.

Monica said...

Great pictures. I love Max's smile. Just his little way of letting you know he would be just fine, huh? So glad all went smoothly. We will be praying for a smooth recovery and Max's safe return home soon. Love you all.

The Birds said...

Ok, so I have been way out of the blogging world lately and so I'm SO glad you emailed me! I had no Idea he was even going in for surgery. I guess I was thinking it would be until he was at least 3 mo. old. How old is he? Which hospital are you at? MY heart goes out to you. I know EXACTLY what it feels like to send your sweet little baby into surgery. Madalyn had "exploratory" surgery at Primary Children's when she was 12 days old. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but what doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger. I know I'm stronger b/c of that experience! And I LOVE the picture at the top left of the blog of Max. He is a BEAUTIFUL baby! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'll be fasting for you guys tomorrow!!!
~Chandi

Sarah said...

i'm so glad his surgery went well. we have max in our prayers!

Blog said...

Your blog always makes me cry, I'm such a baby! Weird question...have you been able to nurse Max through all of this, or is he a bottle boy?

Laura said...

He is so absolutely gorgeous and so sweet! I adore the photo of his smiling. He is such a trooper!!! Our prayers are with you!!

Sharon said...

I have been thinking about little Max all morning and was so glad to see the email that his surgery went well. The pictures of him before surgery are so sweet. We will still keep you guys in our prayers!

Nancy said...

My heart goes out to you both, he looks like such a happy and strong little guy!! Our prayers are with your family. When he's older and your two sons are playing ball in the back yard together this will just be a memory. We are all thinking of Max and praying for him and your family.

Karen Kunzler said...

Spencer and Mary,
You are in our prayers. You are amazing!!! We are glad Max did so well, and that all is going well. We know we are a little ways away, but if there is anything else besides praying we can do please let us know. We love you!!!!!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Our daughter had a cranial reconstruction when she was one. It was hard, but I too loved that the doctor carried her into surgery instead of being wheeled in a bed. It reassured me, and let me know how much these health professionals really care about our little ones.