Tuesday, April 24, 2012

It's been a while...

I can not believe that it has almost been 3 years since I updated this blog. It is time to start writing again because Max's next surgery is happening in less than 3 weeks. This is the "big" surgery, the one we have been waiting for, the Fontan procedure. We are nervous, anxious and also excited. It is surreal to think that a month from now we will no longer carry this huge burden of Max's surgery. It will be over! Max's heart will always be a concern since it will never be 100% functioning but after this surgery, his heart will be as healthy as it will be! I know it will be painful and frustrating for Max to go through the operation and recovery but I am so happy that this summer he will have more energy and be able to do so much more with his body without mommy fretting about every deep breath that he takes.
His surgery is scheduled for May 14th. At this point the doctors have told us the surgery will take anywhere from 4-7 hours. The length of time depends on how much scar tissue Max has from his previous surgeries and how accessible the areas of his heart are once the surgeons are working on him. The actual time on the heart-lung by-pass machine is relatively short which is comforting since that seems to be the scariest part of the surgery for me.
For now we are trying to prepare as much as we can... cleaning house, preparing freezer meals, planning babysitting for Morgen, Spencer is clearing his schedule at work, etc. We are trying to talk to Max about the surgery as much as possible. I feel the more he understands, the easier it will be for him to cope rather than completely surprising him without any preparation. He knows that he is going to the hospital. He knows that he is having surgery on his heart; although, I am not sure he understands completely what surgery means. He does know that is heart is going to be fixed, that he will get medicine and that he will have another scar. Whenever we talk about his scar he always lifts his shirt and proudly displays his chest. We love that!
I will do my best to keep everyone updated as we prepare and while he is in the hospital. This feels like the most efficient way to communicate each step along the way. Thank you to everyone for your past support and continued support. Hopefully this will be our last big "hurdle" for Max. All prayers and well wishes are greatly appreciated.

No comments: