Sunday, April 29, 2012

Suggestions...

Max's surgery is just 2 weeks away. One of the main things we need to do to prepare him is keep him healthy. No sniffles. No cough. No fever. Anything kind of sickness would delay surgery. The best way to keep him germ free is to stay home most of the time. We kind of feel like hermits but it is only temporary. Today Max and I stayed home from church. We played some games, had a nice lunch and took a nap. 
While Max and I were playing a game of bowling this morning, I realized that I need to start making a list of all the things we need to pack for the hospital... button up jammies, slippers, favorite stuffed animals (and new Build-a-Bear!), all the hearts we are receiving in the mail, his quilt (more on that later), a few of his favorite puzzles and toys... but what else? As for me, I know I should pack comfortable clothes, toiletries, a few books, my journal, camera and battery charger, cell phone charger, snacks, a water bottle...  I know we will get there and realize that we forgot something. Spencer can zip home and bring back anything we forget but what do you think would be important to bring to the hospital? In an odd way it feels like we are going on vacation. We are packing up and planning to be gone for at least a week. So what do we bring? Any suggestions? What do you think would make the hospital stay more comfortable or tolerable? What are some quiet ways to pass the time? What are some calm ways to keep Max occupied once he starts to wake up? I'm open to suggestions!

One thing we have done in preparation for his surgery is cut his hair. He will only be getting sponge baths for 2 weeks and after that, the incision site will not be allowed to be submerged in water for a while. We figured that his long curly hair would get pretty ratty and nasty after laying in a hospital bed for that long so we buzzed his head. No more curls and shaggy hair. He still looks cute though! 
Before...

And after...
Keep sending hearts...
PO Box 67086
Portland , Or 97268

3 comments:

Deters said...

Actually, our boys love playing with the leap pad. It's so kid friendly and they would play for a long time on that.

Darby Bramble said...

Mary, Spencer, Max and Morgen,

Hello from Helena, Montana! My children and I read your blog this morning and made hearts for Mighty Max, inspired by the awesome photos and great narrative. We are cheering for all of you and praying for good health and s speedy recovery for Mr. Max. Thank you for the updates and please take care.
Love,
Darby Bramble

Monica said...

I know you are the master packer, so I'm not to worried about you thinking of just the right things, but my only thoughts would be comfy socks/slippers for you and an iPod/phone with apps (maybe find some new games/coloring ones he hasn't seen before?) for Max. These techy kids of ours seem to stay pretty happy for long periods with those!