With Max we know we are dealing with a congenital heart defect. The word congenital means inborn or existing at birth. In the previous post I explained how a normal heart functions- I would suggest reading that first if the heart is not something you are very familiar with (like me). Max's heart is functioning very differently then a normal heart.
The basic "problem" with Max's heart is that he is operating with only 3 working chambers. His right ventricle is completely non-functioning. Or as the cardiologist put it, "his right ventricle is like a shoulder pad- it takes up some space and it is moving with the left ventricle but it is not performing any function." A single ventricle heart is a defect that is quite complicated because simply his left ventricle is doing double the work. That single ventricle not only needs to pump blood to the lungs, it also need to pump blood to the body. And the main problem with a single ventricle heart is the mixing of "blue" and "red" blood within the ventricle. For a more medical description of single ventricle heart conditions you can click here.
Another defect of Max's heart is called Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). This means there is a hole between the right and left atrium causing the red and blood blood to mix in the atrium. In Max's situation the cardiologist said this is actually a good thing. Since the red and blue blood will be mixing in the atrium it will decrease the amount of work the left ventricle will have to do. I do not understand exactly how that works but if the doctor says it is a good thing then I will trust him. Here is a picture of a heart with ASD (click on picture to enlarge):
Max also has a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). It is very similar to ASD except that the hole is between the right and left ventricle. Since Max's right ventricle is considerd non-funtioning the VSD is not an issue that is a big concern to the doctors at this point. There may be some blood flow back and forth between the right and left ventricle but at this point it does not seem to increase or decrease the amount of work that his left ventricle is having to do. Here is a picture of a heart with VSD (click on picture to enlarge):
Dextrocardia is another thing that makes Max's heart unique. Dextrocardia literally means "heart on the right" so Max's heart is actually a mirrored image of what a normal heart looks like. This isn't considered a defect, just a way to describe what his heart looks like. And the fact that his heart is flipped the wrong way is not effecting the funtionality of his heart. For more information you can click here.
And the last thing the cardiologist diognosed Max's heart with is Transposition of the Great Arteries. Looking at Max's heart both the pulmonary artery and the aorta are attached to his left ventricle. In a normal heart this would cause a lot of problems but since Max is only operating with his left ventricle this is actually helping him. His left side is the side that is working so it makes sense that both main arteries are connected to the left side. Of all things we discussed with the doctor this was the most confusing to me but I am sure as I learn more I will understand how the transposition will work with Max's heart.
Okay... that is everything we discussed with the cardiologist. I am sure there will be a lot more details as we continue to meet with doctors. It really sounds like an overwhelming amount of problems but it is amazing how some problems are actually helping ease the stress of a different problem. The body is amazing. And it is amazing that doctors were able to detect these problems and have the knowledge and experience to be able to fix Max's heart. We know that additional issues might arise as he continues to grow but the best thing we can hope for is that his heart will continue to develop at the same rate.
The basic "problem" with Max's heart is that he is operating with only 3 working chambers. His right ventricle is completely non-functioning. Or as the cardiologist put it, "his right ventricle is like a shoulder pad- it takes up some space and it is moving with the left ventricle but it is not performing any function." A single ventricle heart is a defect that is quite complicated because simply his left ventricle is doing double the work. That single ventricle not only needs to pump blood to the lungs, it also need to pump blood to the body. And the main problem with a single ventricle heart is the mixing of "blue" and "red" blood within the ventricle. For a more medical description of single ventricle heart conditions you can click here.
Another defect of Max's heart is called Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). This means there is a hole between the right and left atrium causing the red and blood blood to mix in the atrium. In Max's situation the cardiologist said this is actually a good thing. Since the red and blue blood will be mixing in the atrium it will decrease the amount of work the left ventricle will have to do. I do not understand exactly how that works but if the doctor says it is a good thing then I will trust him. Here is a picture of a heart with ASD (click on picture to enlarge):
Max also has a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). It is very similar to ASD except that the hole is between the right and left ventricle. Since Max's right ventricle is considerd non-funtioning the VSD is not an issue that is a big concern to the doctors at this point. There may be some blood flow back and forth between the right and left ventricle but at this point it does not seem to increase or decrease the amount of work that his left ventricle is having to do. Here is a picture of a heart with VSD (click on picture to enlarge):
Dextrocardia is another thing that makes Max's heart unique. Dextrocardia literally means "heart on the right" so Max's heart is actually a mirrored image of what a normal heart looks like. This isn't considered a defect, just a way to describe what his heart looks like. And the fact that his heart is flipped the wrong way is not effecting the funtionality of his heart. For more information you can click here.And the last thing the cardiologist diognosed Max's heart with is Transposition of the Great Arteries. Looking at Max's heart both the pulmonary artery and the aorta are attached to his left ventricle. In a normal heart this would cause a lot of problems but since Max is only operating with his left ventricle this is actually helping him. His left side is the side that is working so it makes sense that both main arteries are connected to the left side. Of all things we discussed with the doctor this was the most confusing to me but I am sure as I learn more I will understand how the transposition will work with Max's heart.
Okay... that is everything we discussed with the cardiologist. I am sure there will be a lot more details as we continue to meet with doctors. It really sounds like an overwhelming amount of problems but it is amazing how some problems are actually helping ease the stress of a different problem. The body is amazing. And it is amazing that doctors were able to detect these problems and have the knowledge and experience to be able to fix Max's heart. We know that additional issues might arise as he continues to grow but the best thing we can hope for is that his heart will continue to develop at the same rate.
9 comments:
The reason it is good that the aorta and pulmonary artery are attached to the LV is because the LV has to pump the blood to both the lungs and the rest of the body. If Max's PA was attached to his non-functional RV, his lungs wouldn't get the oxygen they need to develop properly since not much blood is flowing from the RV. Maybe this helped?
Hi, my name is Sarah Atchison and I went to high school with Spencer. I found your blog on his facebook page. I will be sending many good thoughts your way and to little Max. It's good you found out about his heart problems before he was born. Now you can be educated and know what to expect once you get to meet him :) We have a daughter with a rare genetic disorder and knowing as much as possible has really helped us grasp her situation and to be great advocates for her health and well being. If you have time it is worth searching on Yahoo Groups for a support group of people with Max's same diagnosis. We belong to one and it has been a world of help as far as advise and knowing what to expect as your child grows up.
We will be thinking of you.
Take Care!
That is amazing that some of the "problems" are actually helping in his case. Isn't is amazing how the body works and compensates?
Mary- my heart goes out to you! I admire your positive attitude and loving heart. Knowledge is power, so I think you are doing great. I will keep you in my prayers and will be checking on your updates!
Hi Mary...Just wanted you to know that Mark and I are sending lots of prayers and happy thoughts your way. This blog is great. Thanks for the updates. It is great to be able to hear about Max, and how he is doing. Love the name Max, by the way. I think it is a perfect fit for the little guy.
I am very impressed. That is a LOT of information and you did a great job of explaining everything so that we can all understand what is going on. What an awesome little guy with an equally awesome mom!
I don't think that it's a coincidence (sp???) that both of the main arteries are connected to Max's working side. I read that part and got chills and tears in my eyes knowing that it is a blessing from heaven!! You are an inspiration!! Keep the faith!
~Chandi
Thanks for sharing. It's so nice that you now know more and that you can understand what is going on. We will definitely still have little Max in our prayers! We love and miss you guys!
Hi, Mary. My name is Emily and I went grew up with Spencer. I am so sad to hear that your Mighty Max is having problems. I am also amazed at all the knowledge that you and the doctors have right now. I will keep your son in my prayers.
I was wondering. I thought Spencer had heart surgery as an infant. Is this the same condition and situation?
Post a Comment