Sunday, September 14, 2008

A moment of peace...

A few nights ago Morgen woke up in the middle of the night crying. Normally we let him fuss himself back to sleep but his crying escalated to the point of panic so I went into his room to get him. As soon as I picked him up his entire body melted to mine in a state of total relaxation and exhaustion. I sat down in the rocking chair and took advantage of the moment that my son was calm, still and wanting to snuggle his mommy. We sat in the dark rocking gently for about 15 minutes. Slowly I could hear his breath settle into a normal pattern, I could feel his body slump even further into sleep and I felt the moisture from his drool seeping though the shoulder of my shirt. I was just about to put Morgen back into his crib when I felt little Max wake up. He was suddenly kicking with all his itty, bitty might against my tummy. It was a strange sensation to have one son in a deep slumber against my shoulder and my other son perfectly awake and active moving inside of me.
At that moment I felt total peace.
I know my Max is strong and will be a part of our loving family forever. I know my Morgen will be an example and friend for his little brother. I love my boys. I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a mother.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet, Mary. You deserve some peace.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were able to have a moment of peace. We love you guys and are praying for little Max. Thank you for keeping us updated through the blog.

Katie said...

What a wonderful moment you were able to have with your boys. So glad you were able to feel at peace.

Karen Kunzler said...

What a beautiful moment! I think that is all that can be said. We love you and we pray for you and Max every night.

Jen Lee said...

With everything that is going on with your family right now~ it is the small moments (like that) that will keep you going and get you through this. We love you!!!!!!

Laura said...

That is such a sweet post Mary. I'm so glad that you feel peace. You are an awesome mom!

Sharon said...

It's moments like that you will remember forever! We too pray for little Max every night. And I agree with the last post....you are an awesome mom!

Charlene said...

oh, that post made me cry. Isn't it wonderful to get those mommy payback moments every once in awhile? We continue to pray for your family and especially little Max. :)

The Birds said...

So glad you shared that one, and yes, I like everyone else, cried!!!
~Chandi

Theresa Mooney said...

Mary Christine Kelly, you are a treasure for sure. This world would be remiss without you.