One of the main concerns about Max immediately after he is born will be his oxygen saturation levels. Since his heart will be mixing the oxygen rich blood (red blood) and the oxygen low blood (blue blood) that means that blood low in oxygen will be pumped back through his body causing his coloring to be blue. If someone is choking their lips turn blue because they are low on oxygen- essentially the same thing will happen to Max, he won't be choking but the blue coloring will cover his entire body. It is just a temporary condition and most likely he will be put on oxygen tubes immediately so his coloring will be "normal" within a few days. This is just one of the side effects of being born with a congenital heart defect. And really this is the only side effect (that we know of) that is noticeable just by looking at him- otherwise he should look like a regular little baby.
This is an image I found on google.com of a baby that was born with Blue Baby Syndrome.
This is an image I found on google.com of a baby that was born with Blue Baby Syndrome.

1 comment:
Mary, I found your blog through Kourtney's blog. It good to see all your pictures of you and your family. I'm thinking about you guys and you are in our prayers.
Linae Smith
Post a Comment