Today I had my last appointment with Dr. King, the pediatric cardiologist. Basically everything is the same- which is really good news. Max is growing. He is now a healthy 5lbs 2oz. His heart is continuing to grow proportionate to his body. Dr. King is really happy with the growth of Max and even said that there isn't a need to have a scheduled induction; however, my OB/GYN is still probably going to schedule an induction so that he and the other staff will be prepared.
After our last appointment with Dr. King our concern was that the hole between the ventricles would begin closing- today it was confirmed that the hole is actually growing proportionate to the rest of his heart. We might side step an additional surgery if that hole stays large enough to allow adequate blood flow between the right and left ventricle. I know it sounds strange to hope that a hole in my son's heart will continue to grow larger but Max's heart is pretty unique and the hole is actually helping his body circulate the blood more efficiently.
Another bit of good news- with a single ventricle heart, like Max, there is an increased chance that the pulmonary artery will stretch out causing too much blood to be pumped to the heart. Essentially the heart could flood if the pulmonary artery is stretched too wide. Often a surgery is needed to band the artery to keep it from stretching too much. Today Dr. King said that the circumference of Max's pulmonary artery is at a length that is not too large. So again, we might side step another surgery :) Of course Max's heart can change a lot between now and when he is born but the thought of less surgeries is so encouraging to me.
We will not meet with Dr. King again until this little one arrives. At that point Dr. King will do a thorough examination of Max and will be able to give us a more accurate time table of when (or if) certain surgeries would need to be performed. Dr. King has been so reassuring throughout our visits with him. I feel 100% confident that he will provide the best medical care for our son.
I am only 5 weeks from my due date! I now need to go in for weekly appointments so the doctors can monitor the stress levels of me and Max. I will let everyone know if there are any changes but at this point we are praying that the rest of this pregnancy will non-eventful. Thank you to everyone who has been a source of support through your encouraging words and prayers.
After our last appointment with Dr. King our concern was that the hole between the ventricles would begin closing- today it was confirmed that the hole is actually growing proportionate to the rest of his heart. We might side step an additional surgery if that hole stays large enough to allow adequate blood flow between the right and left ventricle. I know it sounds strange to hope that a hole in my son's heart will continue to grow larger but Max's heart is pretty unique and the hole is actually helping his body circulate the blood more efficiently.
Another bit of good news- with a single ventricle heart, like Max, there is an increased chance that the pulmonary artery will stretch out causing too much blood to be pumped to the heart. Essentially the heart could flood if the pulmonary artery is stretched too wide. Often a surgery is needed to band the artery to keep it from stretching too much. Today Dr. King said that the circumference of Max's pulmonary artery is at a length that is not too large. So again, we might side step another surgery :) Of course Max's heart can change a lot between now and when he is born but the thought of less surgeries is so encouraging to me.
We will not meet with Dr. King again until this little one arrives. At that point Dr. King will do a thorough examination of Max and will be able to give us a more accurate time table of when (or if) certain surgeries would need to be performed. Dr. King has been so reassuring throughout our visits with him. I feel 100% confident that he will provide the best medical care for our son.
I am only 5 weeks from my due date! I now need to go in for weekly appointments so the doctors can monitor the stress levels of me and Max. I will let everyone know if there are any changes but at this point we are praying that the rest of this pregnancy will non-eventful. Thank you to everyone who has been a source of support through your encouraging words and prayers.
7 comments:
All good news! Can't believe Max is down to just a little over a month! I'm so relieved for you all that he is making such great progress and that you have such great care.
That's good news! I'm so glad to hear that. I'm sure it gives you a little more peace of mind. What a blessing. I hope the last few weeks of pregnancy go smoothly.
I'm glad you are getting good news from the heart doctor! Sounds like Max is going to be a special little boy! I read this article in the Mormon Times here (a section of the Deseret News) and thought it was interesting. I'm not sure if any of this is the same as what Max has, but thought it was inspiring nonetheless. http://mormontimes.com/mormon_living/mission_life/?id=5078
Yippee! Girl, so glad that it was all good news. Be sure to let me know if we can have Morgen to play. Bridget had a great (albeit far too short) time with him.
How great to be on the receiving end of good news!!! Things are starting to look up...
So glad you're getting some good news. What a great Christmas present, eh?!!! I can't believe he's only five weeks away! Exciting stuff. I'll be following anxiously!
~Chandi
Mary, that is so GREAT!!!! Good luck with the next few weeks. Isn't the human body amazing? I am so happy that you and sweet little Max have been SO blessed!!!!
Post a Comment