Tuesday, April 21, 2009

One step forward and two steps back...

Recovery for Max has been up and down. We are still at the hospital and the doctors still can not give us a date when they think we will be going home. I just finished giving Max his 3rd bath today because he pucked all over himself once again. I am so incredible happy that everything regarding the surgery and the healing of Max's heart is going well but we just seem to be hitting every other bump along the road.
Max has something called chylothorax and consequently he needs to be on a special formula. The new formula is pretty nasty and Max was getting his food through a feeding tube. We have been slowly trying to reintroduce the bottle and in the past 24 hours he has made a lot of progress (step forward). Since he is taking his formula orally he is also given his medication orally. The medication makes him gag and then he vomits- medicine and formula both come up (two steps back).
Max has also developed a fever which is an indication of infection. Today the nurses took blood samples and samples from the fluid draining from his chest tubes. It take 24-48 hours for the lab to test the samples so we just have to wait to figure out the results. If it is negative for infection- good. If it is positive for infection- we have to start on IV antibiotics and stay at the hospital until it clears up.
I am just wearing out. We did not expect to be at the hospital this long. Everyday that we are here is another day I miss being with Morgen and Spencer. It is another day of sleepless nights on the hospital cots. It is another day of Max being exposed to germs. It is another day of gross hospital food. It is another day of no fresh air and exercise. It is another day that Max is uncomfortable and constantly poked and prodded by nurses and doctors. It is another day of being surrounded by sadness, worry, and frustration.
Hopefully we will start taking more steps forward with Max's recovery but at this point I feel like I have to have a pessimistic attitude so I can protect my hopes of going home soon. Max is so strong and he is toughing out the situation the best he can. I wish I could be more like him.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Mary. I'm so sorry. What a difficult situation. I pray all be well and he won't have an infection. He's such a tough little guy and you are such a strong woman!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

I am eternally grateful to my parents that they were able to help when Abigail had her surgery. Parents really need a break sometimes. Hopefully you will be able to get a break and some fresh air soon. And that someone will step up and bring you a tasty homemade meal. Hope Mighty Max turns a corner and gets best soon.

Darby Bramble said...

Mary, I pray that God grants you the strength and patience to continue this process, you are such a wonderful mother, Max and Morgen are so lucky! I also pray that Max will recover quickly with little pain and fight any potential infections. Take good care and know we are thinking about your family, Darby Bramble

Caroline said...

Mary, I would totally feel the same way- be pessimistic to protect myself from getting to hopeful. I'm sure you keep reminding yourself to trust the Lord and keep putting one step in front of the other. You're a wonderful mother and will be BLESSED!