Friday, April 10, 2009

Pre-op Appointment

Max went to the hospital today for his pre-operation appointment. He had an EKG, chest x-rays and blood work done. The technician struggled to find a vein to draw blood and eventually (after a few practice pokes) ended up drawing blood from a vein on his head! I had to leave the room because I knew I would get queasy seeing my baby with a needle sticking out of his head. All of his tests look normal and we got the okay for surgery on Monday as long as Max does not get sick this weekend.
We were also scheduled to meet with Max's surgeon today but he was not available so we will have to wait and talk to him on Monday morning. Spencer and I were disappointed that we were not able to meet with the surgeon because we have lots of questions but, we understand that when a surgeon is busy you really can not interrupt. The same team of surgeons that performed Max's first operation will be working with Max again this time. These doctors are capable and very good at what they do so we have faith that they will take good care of our little boy.
Now we just have to wait until Monday. A supportive friend of mine dictated perfectly in an email how I feel. She wrote, "I hope that the time will pass both quickly (so that you don't have to worry too much) and slowly (so that you can enjoy not having a child in the hospital)." Time is either moving too fast or too slow right now. I am anxious for time to hurry up so I can have a healthier Max in my arms and have a huge worry lifted from my shoulders. But I also wish time could stop so I would not have to see my baby struggle while he is in the hospital. Only a few more days...

2 comments:

Casey said...

Good luck tomorrow. We are praying for you guys way out here in Massachusetts.

Monica said...

Our hearts and hopes are with you tomorrow. Prayers from Salem (and Utah) this week!

Hugs,
Monica & boys