Monday, May 7, 2012

How is Max's heart different?

Since Max was born, we have done a lot of research about the heart. It is a very complicated organ. The more I learn about the heart, the more I realize what a miracle it is that Max has doctors who are able to help him and "correct" his heart. With surgery coming up, a lot of people ask, "What are the doctors going to do?" It is complicated to explain everything because there isn't a simple answer. A generic answer we give is usually, "The doctors are going to reroute the blood going to Max's heart." Before knowing the specifics of what is happening in surgery, it is fascinating to understand how different Max's heart is from a "normal" heart. 
This is the function of a normal, healthy heart...The heart has 2 sides, the right side is responsible for receiving blood from the body and pumping that blood to the lungs, the left side is responsible for receiving blood from the lungs and pumping that blood back to the body. Here is the break down: 
1. Blood comes into the heart from the body and head (orange). Blood enters the heart in the Right Atrium (blue), then flows to the Right Ventricle (yellow) and out to the lungs through the Pulmonary Artery (purple).
2. The blood flows through the lungs and back to the heart into the Left Atrium (green), then flows to the Left Ventricle (red) and out to the body through the Aorta (brown). 
Now if you want to understand Max's heart, let me explain his diagnoses: 
1. Single Left Ventricle: Max only has a functioning left ventricle (red). He does have a small right ventricle (yellow) but it does not pump on it's own and according to the doctors "serves no purpose" in Max's anatomy.
2. Dextrocardia: This means that Max's heart developed as a mirrored image. So you can see, if you compare to the normal heart, that everything is on opposite sides. 
3. Transposition of the Great Arteries: Max's Pulomonary Artery and Aorta are connected in opposite positions (purple and brown lines). Again, compare to the normal heart to see the difference.
4 & 5. Arterial Septic Defects & Ventricular Septic Defects: Basically, this means that he has holes in his heart. Between each section of his heart there are multiple holes. In my picture each section, or chamber, is nicely separated but in reality, all the blood in Max's heart mixes together.

So, basically, Max's heart is just a jumble. It works, but is not effective. With the 2 surgeries he had as a baby and now this third surgery, the corrections will ease the work that his heart needs to do so that his heart will continue to beat for many, many years! 

I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the reality that in a week my son will be having open heart surgery. A week from this moment, Spencer and I will be pacing the halls of the hospital waiting to hear updates from the surgical team about Max's progress. I am really nervous. I keep crying. At random times during the day my eyes fill with tears. I know he has to go through this. Without this surgery his life would be cut short. The surgery will be difficult but ultimately, it will improve his life. We have a to deal with the next few weeks, which will be really, really tough, but one he recovers life will be oh so good!


Please continue to send hearts. 
We also welcome any prayers. This week we need blessings of calmness, peace and continued health for Max. 

PO Box 67086
Portland, Or 97268

3 comments:

Jen Lee said...

It really is literally a miracle that Max is here! And amazing what the doctors are able to do to keep him here! I sooooooo.... wish I could be there with you this week, and in the weeks to come. Just know that I am always a phone call away if you need to vent, cry, rant, or just zone out! I know you are prepared as you can possibly be, so just stay strong and don't forget to breath! You can do this! And Max can do this!

Mark and Cyndy Weiss said...

I really love the drawings. Well done!

Monica said...

This is so helpful and understandable! Thank you for putting in terms I can wrap my mind around, because I've always wanted to understand exactly what was wrong with Max's heart. You have done an amazing job learning about the heart and processing the information for everyone else's benefit, especially for Max. I can tell by his cute comments that you have prepared him well for what's going to be happening to him and his body. There is no getting around the gravity of your little guy having such a major surgery, Mary. It's okay to feel overwhelmed by all of this. You're doing all the right things. Keep at it. One day at a time. We love you guys!