Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Out of breath...

It is a little wild to believe that Max is having surgery in a week and a half. We have known he will need it, but the majority of the time he seems like a normal, healthy kid. Like this morning, while I was on the phone with my sister, he managed to sneak into the kitchen, pull out the container with all the chocolate chips and shove a few handfuls into his mouth before I caught him. See... normal 3 year old. However, there are some moments during the day when it is so obvious that he is not healthy and it can be alarming. 
A few weeks ago I took my boys to OMSI. We were getting ready to leave and the only incentive that I can offer to persuade my boys away from the sandbox is the fact that they can push the button on the elevator. We approached the elevator and another little boy swooped in and pushed the button before Max. In his 3 year old mind that was tragic, he threw a major tantrum and started crying. Tantrums happen often but this time Max instantly turned blue. Like blueberry blue! With this heart condition he has a lower oxygen level. Currently, he averages around 78%. With lower oxygen levels his has a tendency to get blue coloring around his lips, on his hands and on his feet if he gets too cold or if he gets too upset. The elevator insistent was obviously very upsetting to him because his face literally turned colors before my eyes. That is alarming as a mother to see your child change colors!
On a day to day basis, the most frequent reminder we have about his limited oxygen is the fact that he does not like to climb stairs. Normally he will asked to be carried, but when he does climb to the top he is so out of breath. It takes him a few minutes to calm down and take slow, steady breaths. We are all kind of use to it since it happens all the time. I don't even think he notices, but sometimes it is just sad to see how much effort it takes his body to do a simple thing like climbing the stairs. 
After surgery, the hope is that his oxygen levels will be in the high 80's or low 90's! Whoa! That will be a huge improvement. It is hard for me to imagine him being able to run wild at the park without having to take breaks and sit on the bench with me every 10 minutes but... hopefully this summer he will get to feel that freedom of having more energy!!!
This a video of him climbing the stairs. It is hard to hear his breathing because the boys are being so silly...
Proof of the chocolate chip moment from this morning...


Another post about day to day limits for Max- click here.

2 comments:

Jen Lee said...

I could totally hear him breathing hard at the top of the stairs~ sad :( But hopefully it won't be like that in another month :) And I LOVE the chocolate chip mouth!!!! I don't know anyone with a bigger sweet tooth than Max~ which makes since because he's such a sweetie!!!!

Monica said...

Wow, now that I have a context for those oxygen numbers, I can better appreciate your constant worries and poor Max's difficulty with simple day-to-day activities. I'm sure it will be such a relief for both of you when his breathing is improved!